Skip to main content

Forklift truck




I laughed at most’f my seizures

Well what else would I do?

Crying would solve nothing

And I had quite a few.


When I worked in a Builders firm

A private enclosed yard,

They knew my ‘disadvantage’

But found I did work hard.


My dad, had worked there previously

Knew well the old M.D.

So he was able to pull strings

And got the job for me.


Whenever it was needed

The forklift truck I’d drive

It could’ve been their detriment

But thankful, did survive.


Picture, please the scene here

A large inverted U

Three stores, ‘round sand and gravel 

Doors opposite on two


The other storemen busy,

At bottom end of yard

So I was asked to drive fork truck

I'd drove before, not hard.


Driving up between stores

T’ward sand and gravel piles

Turning left into the store

With boxed ceramic tiles.


Now Ernie, my old foreman

He was a ‘hands on’ guy,

Was keeping watchful eye on me

In case things went awry


I had placed many pallets 

Into the store by now,

When seizures, they did strike again,

Things turned out fine, somehow.


Instead of turning left to store,

Ernie, a-front sand pile,

I continued onwards

Against my usual style.


I would have loved to see this,

To witness it first hand,

Ernie scrambling backwards

Up mounds of grit and sand.


I recall not a moment

Of what was happening,

I didn’t hear him screaming,

I witnessed not,  the scene.


He’d screamed for some assistance

To get me off fork truck,

I still can recall NONE of it,

On his side, there was luck


I came back to reality

In office in the store,

My head on arms atop workspace,

Could be seen, - open door.


I raised my head ‘pon wakening,

A fellow store-man seen,

Asked me “How are you feeling?”

I asked how things had been.


He told me what had happened

The antics I’d applied

“You didn’t get it videoed?”

I laughed when he replied.


Was banned from driving fork-truck

’Til no one else to ask,

And Ernie NEEDED something

Brought down from stacking racks


He asked "how are you feeling?"

What he wanted, I knew,

“Where will YOU be standing?”

“WELL away from you”




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Past

Gifts of gold, incense and myrrh For that baby lying there Were not gifts without much thought, Significant references, they brought. GOLD , for riches of a king, Of properties e'erlasting ring, To celebrate the Kingly birth, Who came as man upon the earth. FRANKINCENSE came from the east For th'annointing of a priest, This babe, a Prophet, Priest and King, Eternal life for all to bring. MYRRH was given, though bitter it's taste, Preparing for the death to be faced, The purpose of His life, - the Cross, To save the world from eternal loss. The media bombard with ads., Pushing forth the latest fads, The parents now seem under stress, They're spending more, though giving less. Oh to live in bygone days Though cash was scarce, with less in pays, The children, then, were quite content And knew what Christmas really meant

I love you dad.

    I told my dad, while on his bed, assuming he did sleep, In hospital, [ he'd not come home ] with tears my eyes did weep, “I love you dad” Then hugged him tight, while feebly he replied “I.............love...............you................too..............son” THAT’S the thing I cherish, since he died. With forty years age difference, while young, we were not close. He wasn't very tactile and nor was he verbose, But as we aged, did closer grow, in ways he’d show his love, We’ll meet again, don’t know the ‘when’, – the ‘where’? – in Heaven above. I then went out to my car after this and bawled my eyes out at having had this special moment.

25 have past July 17th 2023

  ๐Ÿ’  ' 25 '  H a v e P a s t   ๐Ÿ’                                                                 W as it really so long ago?                           I t seems like just a few,                          L ove was boundless in the air,                          L ooking down on you .                           I remember my old dad, that's                          A ileen’s grandad, too,                         M arching slowly, up the aisle,                       A dorned by none, but you.                       N ext he gave you to your men, your                                  D ad, pastor, and beau,                       A ileen and William pronounced their vows                       I nsisting love would grow.                            L ike yesterday, I’m sure it seems,                       E ven though it’s gone so fast,                       E xactly where, did those years fly?                       N ow   " twenty-five "  have past.