Working in a nursing home
Right here in Kitchener,
Retirement home was my domain
Night duty, I'd be there.
Oft'times aft working day shift
Out in community,
My schedule did allow the time,
Those various shifts to see.
Was in "Retirement" area,
Though oft' short handed were,
In 'nursing home' location,
Some of us, would work there.
Two reasons, give a hand to staff,
Also, to build up hours,
Many had to work two jobs
To keep our homes and cars.
Now management, (ne'er done our job)
New ruling, he'd edict,
That solely ONE area
Could work, without conflict.
Thus, many of us 'carers'
Lost hours, to make ends meet,
So second job detr'mental
To keep us on our feet.
Aft' working in community,
To nursing home, would drive,
To keep food on the table
Also, keep us alive.
Whene'er I reached the placement,
Informed I was, by staff,
I had to work in nursing care,
I really had to laugh.
Informed them that 'head honcho'
Blocked us from working both,
So did refuse their request,
So management they did call,
From Ayr, he had to drive
T'instruct me of my 'duty'
Reminded him of his rule
Not long before'd create,
Of working in both zones there,
Methinks it was his fate.
I then advised, my day job,
Was giving me more hours,
So night job was not needed,
"I QUIT" - he'd lost all powers.
A few months aft' on T.V.,
In area where he dwelt,
Horrendous flooding suffered
Spokesman for all, was he
His name and occupation
Displayed for all to see,
That nursing home, not mentioned,
Had he been told to leave?
Comments
Post a Comment