Skip to main content

Just a 'Martha'?

        


I was in my mid twenties,
Still single, low esteem,

My peers had cars, were dating,

Felt left out of ‘the team’


Though, was assistant leader

In youth group, Sunday night,

Cared less for sports or vehicles

And didn’t have foresight.


So I was just a ‘Martha’,

Prepped room, refreshments too

And once church service over,

I knew what I must do.


Re-boil the tepid water

Steep tea,  and coffee make,

To serve to all the youth folk,

Whatever they would take.


I then cleaned up the area

Of kitchen I was in,

And ventured to th’adjoining hall

Our meeting, soon, begin.


…………………………………………….


On one specific evening,

Three, rapid, times, no less 

I felt the love from, NO ONE,

Compassion gone, I guess.


I sat down at a table,

I’d set up, previously,

Then heard “You cannot sit down there,

It’s taken, can’t you see?”


After the third rejection,

Belongings, mine, I picked,

Spurning hurts, to me, it felt,

That to the ground, been kicked.


Know not if he had noticed,

Or someone did him tell

But within a minute of me leavin’

Th’other leader, my name, did yell.


Asking what had happened,

Told him, I didn't fit,

If that was ‘love’ from Christians,

I wanted none of it.


Persuaded me to go back in

But firstly, he would talk

To all the group, in hope and trust

That I would still not walk.


Invited back, by him was I,

Apol’gies did abound,

They 'felt' sincere, by all the folk,

New friendships had I found?


…………………………………………….


That evening or within that week,

Satanic forces fought,

Telling me “You’re worthless

Your life with naught, is fraught.''


Reliving th'youth group instance

On video loop, it seemed,

In bed, I strove to fall asleep,

But STILL that instance screamed.


So bad it got, repeatedly,

That, knowing of my mum,

Her sleeping pills were within reach,

Would go and get me some.


Though 'some' wouldn't be sufficient,

I would take ALL, I guessed;

Before my feet could touch the ground,

I KNEW, I had been blessed.


I heard that tender whispering voice

''How will your parents feel,

Whene'er your lifeless body find?

With grief, how will they deal?"


I LOVED my folk too much, for them

To have that heartache, great,

So stayed in bed and changed my side,

That 'video' did abate.


And INSTANTLY, it seemed to me,

A-sleeping sound, was I,

A good nights rest I did enjoy

Elated tears STILL cry.


Got up next morn without a thought

Of battle I'd come through,

And of the instance I'd endured?

My parents NEVER knew.



WHEN PEOPLE PUT YOU DOWN

GOD WILL ALWAYS PICK YOU UP.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Past

Gifts of gold, incense and myrrh For that baby lying there Were not gifts without much thought, Significant references, they brought. GOLD , for riches of a king, Of properties e'erlasting ring, To celebrate the Kingly birth, Who came as man upon the earth. FRANKINCENSE came from the east For th'annointing of a priest, This babe, a Prophet, Priest and King, Eternal life for all to bring. MYRRH was given, though bitter it's taste, Preparing for the death to be faced, The purpose of His life, - the Cross, To save the world from eternal loss. The media bombard with ads., Pushing forth the latest fads, The parents now seem under stress, They're spending more, though giving less. Oh to live in bygone days Though cash was scarce, with less in pays, The children, then, were quite content And knew what Christmas really meant

I love you dad.

    I told my dad, while on his bed, assuming he did sleep, In hospital, [ he'd not come home ] with tears my eyes did weep, “I love you dad” Then hugged him tight, while feebly he replied “I.............love...............you................too..............son” THAT’S the thing I cherish, since he died. With forty years age difference, while young, we were not close. He wasn't very tactile and nor was he verbose, But as we aged, did closer grow, in ways he’d show his love, We’ll meet again, don’t know the ‘when’, – the ‘where’? – in Heaven above. I then went out to my car after this and bawled my eyes out at having had this special moment.

25 have past July 17th 2023

  💝  ' 25 '  H a v e P a s t   💝                                                                 W as it really so long ago?                           I t seems like just a few,                          L ove was boundless in the air,                          L ooking down on you .                           I remember my old dad, that's                          A ileen’s grandad, too,                         M arching slowly, up the aisle,                       A dorned by none, but you.                       N ext he gave you to your men, your                                  D ad, pastor, and beau,                       A ileen and William pronounced their vows                       I nsisting love would grow.                            L ike yesterday, I’m sure it seems,                       E ven though it’s gone so fast,                       E xactly where, did those years fly?                       N ow   " twenty-five "  have past.